Dirty Dozen (Buy these organic)
Grapes – imported
Sweet bell peppers
Clean 15 (Lowest in Pesticide)
Of course, if you can pull it off, from all the expert dietitians and physicians I heard speak at the conference last week, everything organic is best, including milk, grains and meat. The food industry doesn’t necessarily have our health in mind when they make our food. At least, when buying organic, you have some kind of control over what we put in our bodies.
From http://www.robynobrien.com, she reports the following 8 foods cannot be hidden in organic food:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Artificial Colors and Dyes, Red 40, Yellow 5
- Artificial Growth Hormones
- Genetically Modified Ingredients
- Exceeding levels of Pesticides
- Finely Textured Lean Beef Trimmings (“Pink slime”)
I’ve succumbed to putting the price difference aside and am paying the premium for organic. If we don’t have our health, what do we have?